Sunday, March 7, 2010

Weirdest stories (Josh Reading Challenge)


Like the book "funniest stories", this is a collection of stories by Paul Jennings. Unlike the book "funniest stories", they are weird (duh). I thought this was a good book, though there were about 6 or maybe 7 stories i didn't like but read just for completionism. My favourite story was "The Busker". It tells the story of a poor busker and his dog. It was actually very moving because in the end, the dog dies of starvation because all the food he found, he gave to the busker (who was trapped in a well after a angry mob stormed his house because he didn't give them money. It's a long story). I wasn't very cheery for a while after that. My least favourite story was "wake up to yourself" because it was just not enjoyable. A kid ,whose mum is pregnant, has a dream in which he lives a happy life and has louds of fun constantly with his brother. After the dream, he finds his mum in labor (eww) and they don't have time to go to the hospital so, it was sort of D.I.Y from there on. I thought it was just boring and had no meaning. It partly redeems itself by having the newborn baby be a boy (in the dream, the kid was having fun with his brother). Overall, mostly good but a few slip-ups. 7/10
388 pages.

No comments: